Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Bunny Book: The Year of the Hare

In The Year of the Hare by Arto Paasilinna, a car hits a wild hare. The passenger gets a wild hair and follows the wounded bunny into the woods. In a sort of Zen search to become at bun with the universe, he decides not to return to his former life and instead goes on a walk-about in his native Finland (don't worry - the book is translated into English; good thing because my Finnish is really, really rusty). The hare is his traveling companion and the book chronicles their bizarre adventures together.
I received this birthday book from a friend. He also sent me an article about it, which is what gave him the idea to get it as a gift: The Road Into the Open (WSJ 12-31-2010)

And. of course, I used my new bunny-whipped bookmark as I read it:
If your Finnish is not rusty, it was made into a movie; you can read about it here (in English on imdb.com): Jäniksen vuosi (1977)

Do you have any favorite bunny-themed books?

No comments:

Post a Comment